This is a history of the third public housing projects built in North Omaha called the Hilltop Homes.
In 1951, OHA announced development of the projects on both the east and west sides of North 30th Street extending from Burdette south to Parker Street. Completely demolished in 2010, today the ultra-modern, mixed income Highlander neighborhood sits on the 15 acres once here, along with the Charles Drew Health Center. This article is a […]
Public housing was introduced in Omaha in 1937 when the federal Housing Act was passed. This act made federal loans to the city for the construction of low-income public housing. In the 1930s, the City of Omaha first created an informal housing authority meant to address the housing needs of low-income European immigrants. Seeking to […]
“It is almost impossible to get a Negro into a hospital even in the charity wards in Omaha… In the few cases where a Negro is admitted, the Negro physician must turn over the case to a staff [white] physician. The patient loses the advantage of being attended by the man who has followed […]
This is a history of the Saratoga fire station at N. 22nd and Ames Avenue from the 1890s through the 1970s.
This is a history of the Circus Grounds at N. 20th and Paul Streets in North Omaha from the 1870s through the 1930s.
This is a history of East Omaha’s demolished Pershing School in the former District 61.