This is a timeline of the history of the Saratoga neighborhood in North Omaha, including the intersection of 24th and Ames. Included here are events, places and people central to the neighborhood’s existence as a pioneer town, leafy suburb, and a seemingly abandoned urban neighborhood.
Some schools in Omaha were built in reaction to floods of new residents moving into neighborhoods unexpectedly. Others were built to attract new residents. Originally opened in 1885, the school at North 30th and Spaulding Street was the latter. This is a history of the Druid Hill School in North Omaha.
Adam’s Note: This is a guest article by Jody Lovallo in her continuing series about important women in North Omaha history. Check out the “You Might Like…” section below for links to her other articles. Enjoy “A History of the Zabriskie Mansion” by Jody Lovallo.
This is a history of the only foster home for African American youth Omaha history, open from the 1940s into the 1950s.
Built on the rock bottom of the Missouri River, dreams of today’s Mormon Bridge go back to 1846. This article explores the history of the bridge, the ferries, the politics and more.
For 40 years, one plant poisoned North Omaha with heinous disregard. This is a history of the Carter White Lead Company factory in East Omaha.
This is a history of North Omaha’s Omaha View neighborhood, one of the city’s oldest western expanses.