This is a history of a longtime, influential and successful segregated congregation called St Philip the Deacon Episcopal Church in North Omaha.
The vivid life of Lucy Gamble (1875-1958) included teaching, activism, church and much more. This is a bio!
This is a biography of minister, newspaper editor, NAACP leader and North Omaha community activist Rev. John Albert Williams (1866-1933).
Mt. Moriah Baptist Church was founded in 1884, and has been a cornerstone Black church in North Omaha since then. This is a history of the church.
This is a history of Malcolm X’s life in Omaha, and commemorations of his life in the city afterwards.
Adam’s Note: This is a special exposè on a rarely-acknowledged but vitally important part of Omaha’s history. Written by local historian Ryan Roenfeld, I believe this history of Omaha’s Chinatown is necessary, vibrant and just a beginning, albeit a deep one! Share your thoughts in the comments section!
This is a history of the Wesley House, a modern-times org that rebuilt a neighborhood by changing lives.
The Covenant Presbyterian Church was located in North Omaha for almost 100 years. Learn more here…
This is a timeline of a 1950s-era civil rights group in Omaha called the DePorres Club.
This is a history of the founder of Florence, Nebraska’s home.
North Omaha’s Saint Benedict Catholic Church has been a bastion of hope for the Near North Side for almost a century. Here’s their story.
Omaha’s historic Black churches include Cleaves Temple CME; Mt Nebo Baptist; Zion Baptist; Mt Moriah Baptist; Salem Baptist; St John AME; Hillside Presbyterian; Pilgrim Baptist; Bethel AME. Omaha’s tradition of Black churches started less than a decade after the founding of the city in 1865. With de facto segregation the norm in the city by then, African Americans […]
A leader among the bedrock institutions of North Omaha is Zion Baptist Church. One of the oldest congregations in Omaha, it was founded in 1884 and became the largest Black church in Omaha by 1900. It’s landmark building at 2215 Grant Street was designed by North Omaha native “Cap” Clarence Wigington, and its mission is still distinctly relevant more than 125 years after it was founded.
Did you know that North Omaha has at least eight historic cemeteries? Serving religious and ethnic populations as well as the general public, these are the final resting places of thousands of people from the 1840s through today.
In its first 75 years, North Omaha was home to no fewer than four Jewish synagogues, six Catholic parishes and 50 Protestant congregations. These churches reflected the community’s diversity, including ethnic churches where only Italian, German, Norwegian, Danish and other languages were spoke. Within 25 years of Omaha’s founding, there were also several Black churches in the neighborhood north of downtown. Following is a history of churches in North Omaha.
This is the original Poor Clares Monastery built in 1904. It still stands at N. 29th and Hamilton Streets. Located in the middle of the hustle and bustle is a spectacularly beautiful, formerly consecrated rental facility that few people in the entire city know about. For more than a century there was a monastery […]