From 1920 to 1928, Omaha’s Colored Commercial Club was an business referral, employment agency, and community building org dedicated to Omaha’s African Americans. Its credited with providing the first social worker to Omaha’s African American community, and matched thousands of people to work. Here’s a short history of the organization.
With the lynching of Will Brown and the near-ransacking of the Near North Side in 1919, Omaha became deeply segregated. By 1920, it was evident to African American businessmen that they needed to promote their own business interests throughout the North Omaha community, across Omaha and around the Midwest.
The Omaha Colored Commercial Club was established in 1920. Designed to help African Americans find professional employment, the Club also kept local money within the local community. The club made it clear to African Americans which businesses were Black-owned and which hired Blacks, so that African Americans could support businesses that supported them. It provided other services, too, including lending books. The Omaha Public Library counted its distribution in their annual report in 1922.
Harrison Pinkett, an African American lawyer in North Omaha who moved to the city from Washington, D.C., was the founder of the Club. After that, the leadership of the Club was a who’s who in North Omaha’s African American leadership. Prince Hall Masons were especially involved. In 1922, three of the four Club officers were members of the fraternity, including Nathaniel Hunter, president; Rough AshIer; Dr. Craig Morris, secretary, Rough Ashier; and Dan Desdunes, treasurer, Excelsior.
According to their brochure from 1923, “The purpose of the Colored Commercial Club is to cooperate in Commercial and Civic enterprises among the Colored People of Omaha; to foster a better relation between the Colored and White Business Houses.”
W. E. B. DuBois’s magazine, The Crisis: A Record of the Darker Races, recognized the Club in 1920. They said it was committed to “promoting the commercial, industrial, and public interests and welfare of the city.” In 1921, the Club reported they’d placed 2,200 African American men and women in jobs throughout the community since being founded. The Club’s secretary, Grace Hutton, was credited with doing the majority of the work. When she passed away in 1943, Hutton was credited with being Omaha’s first social worker to serve African Americans, through the Club.
The Omaha chapter of the Urban League was the first established west of the Missouri River. It was started in 1928, and was attributed to being an outgrowth of the Omaha Colored Commercial Club. The Club doesn’t show up again after that.