- Built: 1876
- Address: 3706 North 24th Street
- Architecture: Italianate
- Demolished: 1926
Built at the height of an early boom in Omaha, the McCreary Mansion was built three miles north of the city in the mid-1870s. Moving to the Nebraska Territory from Ohio in 1860, throughout John McCreary’s early career, he built telegraph lines across the Midwest. In addition to lines he laid across Ohio and Kentucky, he was involved in laying the Union Pacific telegraph from Nebraska to Salt Lake City. He married Mary Creighton, the sister of Edward and John Creighton, in that family’s native Ohio.
The year after his mansion was finished, McCreary retired to his estate and focused on improving his land. Located immediately north of John Redick’s estate, McCreary had ten acres of land. Located along Saunders Street, McCreary started with a two story Italianate style home that had a dozen rooms, just outside the city limits. Popular Omaha builder Francis Dellone and his brother designed and built the home for McCreary. In the 1890s, McCreary added another floor to the house for a total of 15 rooms.
McCreary was never settled. Towards the late 1880s, he left Omaha for Wyoming, where he launched a ranch of almost 3,000 acres with 500 head of cattle on it. McCreary died in 1908. A generous benefactor of North Omaha’s Sacred Heart Church, he was buried at Holy Sepulcher Cemetery.
In 1905, McCreary sold his home and it became the Swedish Mission Hospital. Over the next two decades, the institution was a landmark in North Omaha. With fifteen rooms in three wards, they added a separate three story building, allowing the hospital to treat 600 patients annually. In 1926, the hospital came under control of a church and was renamed the Evangelical Covenant Hospital. They tore down the old McCreary Mansion that year, replacing it with a new building.
|A biography of John McCreary.|