This is a history of the demolition of the Trans-Mississippi Exposition of 1898 and the Greater America Exposition of 1899.
Soul food, community building and culture held sway for 35+ years at Carter’s Cafe. This article includes a biography of Lucy Carter (1901-1983).
This is a history of the Wyman Heights neighborhood in North Omaha by guest author Patrick Wyman.
This is a history of a former commercial building and social service office in North Omaha.
The New Market was a large open air market along North 16th Street.
Built around 1905, like many historical commercial buildings in North O, 4104 North 24th Street has had several lives since it was built. Most of it is focused on the iconic Tic Toc Diner. Here’s a low-down of the history of another of North Omaha’s greasy spoons… It was a pool hall, barber shop and […]
The Stage II Lounge offers a lively grown-up place to relax and socialize. Here’s a short history of this North Omaha institution.
The Live Wire Cafe succeeded in a place during a time when other businesses were fleeing. Here’s the history of this North Omaha business.
One part of Omaha has stayed in touch with its agricultural roots for more than a century. This is a history of small family farms and the changing landscape in East Omaha.
Its an understatement to say that railroads helped build North Omaha; they were absolutely vital. Here’s a summary of their history.
Lane Drug had three locations in North Omaha, and each one left a lasting impression on a lot of people.
This is a history of the buildings at North 24th and Fort Streets in the Miller Park neighborhood.
This is a short history of Cabanne’s Post in North Omaha.
This is a history of North Omaha’s Fort Lisa, including its location, history and more.
This is a modern history of North 24th and Lake Streets in North Omaha. Several buildings and initiatives are detailed.
Reed’s Ice Cream was a business in Omaha for more than 25 years. This article is about their business in North Omaha specifically…
The Omaha Auto Speedway had a short life, but a long impact on racing in the city.
North Omaha’s Martha T. Smith Home for the Aged opened in 1913 as the Colored Old Folks Home. This is the history…
For almost a century, the Metropolitan Building and Loan Association helped North Omaha grow.
North Omaha’s has A LOT of unsung architectural heroes, and one of them is Joseph P. Guth. Guth moved from Germany to Omaha in 1884 and designed business blocks, breweries, factories and warehouses, fire stations, schools, houses and multifamily residences, churches and halls across the city for more than 40 years. Leo A. Daly was his […]
The home at 2060 Florence Boulevard has a reputation as a mansion for the social elite; an apartment house; a brothel, a hotel and as apartments again. Here is a history of North Omaha’s Broadview Hotel.
A short history of Minne Lusa Theatre, including its neighboring drug store, furniture store and much more.
This is the story of a cafe called University Lunch once located at 3713 N. 24th St. in North Omaha. Called the “Hash House” by nearby students, it was an institution for 15 years until it closed in 1938. This is its story.
In the aftermath of the 1960s riots that ravaged the community, a group of African American investors from North Omaha rallied to invest in technology, and for many, to invest in their home neighborhood. Pulling off a coup, for almost a decade, North Omaha was home to Nebraska’s first radio station and a former bastion of white middle class American culture. Except now it was the home of the city’s Black pride, empowerment and culture.
Street signs at 20th and Lake in North Omaha, Nebraska. There are unsung intersections throughout North Omaha. These are places the past treated as important and meaningful, packed with businesses and enterprise, possibilities and the future. Unfortunately, almost every one of them met it’s demise when white flight kicked in and the community ran into […]
Thomas Frank Stroud’s North Omaha business was successful. After starting it in Omaha in 1894, he formally organized the firm in 1895 to build dirt moving machines that he designed. In 1905, he built a $20,000 factory at the intersection of Florence Boulevard and the Belt Line tracks.
Built: 1909 Address: 5100 Florence Boulevard Architecture: Neo-Classical Demolished: 1969 In 1895, Thomas F. Stroud started his wagon making business in North Omaha. He was going to make his fortune selling wagons to western farmers in the city considered to be the Gateway to the West. In order to truly appreciate his wealth, he had to construct a magnificent home. […]
This is a history of gas stations in North Omaha, Nebraska
Omaha has always been a good place to die.
Starting in the 1840s when the first trails were cut through the area, people were laid to rest all across the city. With cemeteries scattered across North Omaha, it made sense for a stonecutter to make his work in the community.
Tucked away in North Omaha is a historic neighborhood that gets little attention. However, the people who’ve lived there have vibrant memories and meaningful stories that lasted a lifetime. The Central Park neighborhood extends from North 33rd to North 48th Streets, from Ames Avenue to Sorenson Parkway. Located west of the town of Saratoga, it was never an incorporated town like its neighbors in Irvington or Benson. A lot of the oral histories of the area talked about it being a rural community, surrounded by farms and fields, orchards and more. Rising from cornfields and hills, the Central Park neighborhood has a long history starting in the 1880s. Here are details I could find about the neighborhood.
In a time of mobland gangsters, illegal booze, dirty gambling halls and open prostitution, several African Americans rose high enough in Omaha’s criminal underworld to become the crime lords of North Omaha.
North Omaha is screaming full of history, and the new 24th and Lake Historic District is a tremendous example of how that’s so. After its first developments in the 1870s, this intersection evolved to become a hotbed of the African American community; as well as the heart of the Jewish community; a farm supply area; and much, much more. In 2016, 38 buildings were included in a new listing on the National Register of Historic Places. This article is an introduction to the powerful, poignant past of a large jewel in North Omaha’s historical crown.
North Omaha has hosted large and small industry throughout its history, starting in the 1860s and extending to this day. One of the major manufacturers that has called North Omaha home was the Douglas Motors Corporation.
North Omaha’s African American culture has grown and changed dramatically since its founding in 1854. One of the main drivers of the culture for more than a century has been the Black media. From the time Omaha’s first Black newspaper was published in 1889 through Shanelle Williams’ continued use of Facebook, Twitter and other social media today to build the African American community in Omaha, Black media has continued to transform the North Omaha community and the city at large.
Located at 1400 Evans Street in North Omaha, the Tidy House Products Company was one of many small industries scattered throughout the community. A successful company, Tidy House had several products that helped you keep a tidy house. They included Perfex household cleaner, Dexol bleach, GlossTex laundry detergent, and Shina Dish dishwashing liquid. The company […]
For more than 15 years, the Environmental Protection Agency has been fighting lead poisoning in North Omaha as part of a citywide environmental cleanup focused on the 27-square-miles east of 72nd Street.
Now seen as the front door to Omaha, Cuming Street has also served as the city’s farthest edge; as the growing, mighty muscles of industry and business; and as its dirty, neglected backside. This article highlights the history of Cuming Street, from its beginnings through to present day.
More than 65 years ago, a newspaper was launched to serve Omaha’s African American community. Coming from a legacy of several Black newspapers before it, the paper was launched by the visionary Mildred Brown and her husband Ed Gilbert. Losing its direct competitors within a decade, The Omaha Star became the city’s Civil Rights media champion, refusing to print negative news and constantly focusing on keeping it positive. The original banner was “Joy and Happiness”, and the only told good news.
These are historic neighborhoods in North Omaha, including their establishment, locations and links.
The Ohio Fish Market was a North Omaha institution for 25 years. Discover the history of this iconic restaurant and store…