A History of the Thomas Mansion

Built: est. 1875 Address: 958 North 27th Street Architecture: Stick Style Demolished: 1953 Many of early Omaha’s wealthy builders built their mansions and estates in North Omaha. One of them was attorney Dexter L. Thomas (1841-1919). His large house at N. 27th Avenue and Nicholas Street was a landmark for years, surely inspiring his contemporaries to […]

A History of the Demolition of the Trans-Mississippi Expo

This is a history of the demolition of the Trans-Mississippi Exposition of 1898 and the Greater America Exposition of 1899.

A History of the Bemis Park Landmark Heritage District in North Omaha

The Bemis Park Landmark Heritage District is a jewel in the crown of North Omaha history. This is a summary of its history.

A History of St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Parish and the Bryant Resource Center

North Omaha’s Saint Benedict Catholic Church has been a bastion of hope for the Near North Side for almost a century. Here’s their story.

A History of the 24th and Fort Intersection in North Omaha

This is a history of the buildings at North 24th and Fort Streets in the Miller Park neighborhood.

A History of Black Churches in Omaha

Omaha’s tradition of Black churches started less than a decade after the founding of the city in 1865. With de facto segregation the norm in the city by then, African Americans were denied seats in white churches. Not to be without a spiritual home, the city’s pioneer Blacks founded their own places of worship. Here is an introduction […]

A History of Zion Baptist Church in North Omaha

A leader among the bedrock institutions of North Omaha is Zion Baptist Church. One of the oldest congregations in Omaha, it was founded in 1884 and became the largest Black church in Omaha by 1900. It’s landmark building at 2215 Grant Street was designed by North Omaha native “Cap” Clarence Wigington, and its mission is still distinctly relevant more than 125 years after it was founded.

A History of North Omaha’s Joseph P. Guth

North Omaha’s has A LOT of unsung architectural heroes, and one of them is Joseph P. Guth. Guth moved from Germany to Omaha in 1884 and designed business blocks, breweries, factories and warehouses, fire stations, schools, houses and multifamily residences, churches and halls across the city for more than 40 years. Leo A. Daly was his […]

A History of North Omaha’s Burkenroad House aka Broadview Hotel aka Trimble Castle

The home at 2060 Florence Boulevard has a reputation as a mansion for the social elite; an apartment house; a brothel, a hotel and as apartments again. Here is a history of North Omaha’s Broadview Hotel.

A History of the Gold Coast Historic District in Omaha

From 1880 through the 1920s, Omaha’s new Gold Coast neighborhood was the opulent address in Omaha. Starting with Gilded Age mansions, it evolved into a mixed income neighborhood with wealthy and manager level classes.

A History of Anna Wilson’s Mansion in North Omaha

A. D. Jones, Dr. Elizabeth Reeves, Robert Beech Howell, Anna Wilson, the Omaha Old Peoples Home Association, Crosby Funeral Home, and several others were attached to the mansion at 2018 Wirt Street in the Kountze Place neighborhood of North Omaha, Nebraska. What happened to it?

A History of the Stroud Mansion in North Omaha

Built: 1909 Address: 5100 Florence Boulevard Architecture: Neo-Classical Demolished: 1969 In 1895, Thomas F. Stroud started his wagon making business in North Omaha. He was going to make his fortune selling wagons to western farmers in the city considered to be the Gateway to the West. In order to truly appreciate his wealth, he had to construct a magnificent home. […]

A History of North Omaha’s J. F. Bloom and Company

Omaha has always been a good place to die.

Starting in the 1840s when the first trails were cut through the area, people were laid to rest all across the city. With cemeteries scattered across North Omaha, it made sense for a stonecutter to make his work in the community.