A History of Monmouth Park Elementary School in North Omaha

Monmouth Park School was a public school located at 4508 North 33rd Street, and was built in 1903. Originally located in a suburban neighborhood, the school was quickly surrounded by homes, businesses and more. Its neighbors included a the 30th and Ames historic commercial district, North High, and Immanuel Hospital.

White flight struck the neighborhood dramatically in the early 1960s, and by 1967, Monmouth Park School was recognized as one of Omaha’s Black schools, which were defacto segregated by Omaha’s housing patterns.

An architectural drawing of North Omaha's Monmouth Park School at N. 33rd and Ames.
An architectural drawing of North Omaha’s Monmouth Park School at N. 33rd and Ames.

Designed by important Omaha architect Thomas Kimball, the Omaha Public School District wanted to tear the building down after closing it in the 1980s. After a decade as apartments, the building was hit hard by a wind storm in 1993, and demolished in 1995.

Do you have memories, stories or knowledge about Monmouth Park to share? Use the comments section below!

5a8de-monmouth2bpark2bschool
This is a circa 1910 image of Monmouth Park Elementary School at N. 33rd and Ames Avenue.

You Might Like…

11 thoughts on “A History of Monmouth Park Elementary School in North Omaha

1. Frederick Poblete December 14, 2017 — 11:12 pm

I attended Monmouth Park Elementary school from 1967 to 1969, my father was in the military and was stationed at Fort Omaha back when it was still a military installation. We lived 5 blocks away at 5008 N 33rd street and my sister and I would walk to school every day even during the terrible Nebraskan winter storms. I remember the long hallways of the school and I fondly remember eating my lunch on the steps of the South side of the building. I am saddened to find out that this historic building no longer exists.

Liked by 1 person

2. Jenelle Hansen Jones April 17, 2018 — 5:14 am

I went to school there from 1958 through 1962… kindergarten through 4th grade. I will always remember my favorite teacher of ALL time there, Mrs. Rasteed in 3rd grade. I developed a true love for learning there…so sorry it’s gone. I still think of a few sweet friends l had there. One was Eugene who brought me a white Persian kitten. Another was Betty. I have no idea of their last names. Would give anything to contact them after all these years.

Liked by 1 person

3. Rhonda Langfeldt April 18, 2018 — 5:01 pm

I went to monmoth park when I was young from 1971-1972 kindergarten to the first grade

Liked by 1 person

1. Rhonda Langfeldt April 18, 2018 — 5:08 pm

I remember Mrs. Carter my kindergarten teacher, and I also remember the twins Cliffton and Clifford.
      Rhonda Langfeldt

Liked by 1 person

1. I had Mrs. Carter for kindergarten too in 1967, I loved her!

Liked by 1 person

4. Connie AndersonSwanson June 9, 2018 — 5:53 am

i went to school there from kindergarten to 6th grade 1959-1965, then went to McMillan Jr High. I lived at 3028 Fowler Ave and also remember walking to school in extremely cold weather, bare legs etc. I remember the coat rooms and high windows the teachers would open using a long pole. And watching educational films in the basement, getting our daily milk. and civil defence drills. I still don’t know what that bull horn structure in the front of the building was but I remember it too.

Liked by 1 person

1. Those metal slides were fire escapes.

2. I believe the bullhorn structure were for the air raid sirens during tornadoes. I member you well Connie we grew up together.

Liked by 1 person

5. I attended Monmouth Park from 1954 to 1961. I walked from 33rd ave & Camden. Some of my teachers were Miss Linder, Mrs. Barelman, Mrs Penisten, Mrs Fleming, Mrs Weaver and Mrs Norwood. My brother was lucky to have Mrs Hickey for 6th grade. She passed away a few days ago just short of her 97th birthday.

Liked by 1 person

6. Mike Centarri June 6, 2019 — 9:49 pm

I attended Monmouth Park from kindergarten, 1955 through 6th grade 1962. Then on to McMillan Jr High and then North High Graduated in 1968. Monmouth Park was the meeting place for Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts pack and troop 71. Great memories.

Liked by 1 person

7. I attended Monmouth Park from kindergarten through 6th grade. Our families lived in Fowler and we have stayed in touch all these years. In fact our Monmouth Park group just celebrated nearly 60 years together as friends this past weekend. Believe it or not my mother and her seven siblings also attended Monmouth Park when it first opened. So I have quite a history with that school and had great teachers with one exception and Mrs Reynolds was our principal. I remember there was no lunchroom and we all had to walk home for lunch despite the weather. In the mornings 33rd street between Ames and Meredith would be closed off for a playground before school opened. In sixth grade we moved the library from the first floor to the basement under the guidance of Mrs Earl and we were just talking about how much we learned from doing that about the Dewey decimal system and organization and logistic skills. I will always have fond memories of my grade school years at Monmouth Park from 1959 to 1967.

Liked by 1 person