Long before North Omaha was stitched together by streetcar lines, industrial parks, and residential additions, the frontier town of Saratoga was platted with grand ambitions. Located along the bluffs east of North 16th Street south of Fort Street, Saratoga was planned in the mid-1850s as a premier resort destination centered around natural mineral springs. But like so many territorial settlements of the era, land speculation demanded a financial engine to fuel its dreams, leading directly to the birth—and swift, scandalous demise—of it’s planned financial institution. This is a history of the bank of Saratoga.
High Hopes and “Yaller” Envelopes

In early 1857, the town promoters behind Saratoga wanted to solidify their settlement’s place in the boom-and-bust landscape of the early Nebraska Territory. On January 13, 1857, articles of incorporation were established for the Saratoga Bank (also referred to in official records as the Saratoga Banking Company).
By June 10, 1857, a formal legal notice was published in The Omaha Nebraskian, making the institution’s organization official for the public record:
NOTICE
Is hereby given, that the articles of incorporation of the Saratoga Bank have been duly filed in the office of the Register of Deeds, of the county of Douglas; the principal place of transacting its business being at Saratoga, in the county of Douglas, and Territory of Nebraska, and the general nature of its business being legitimate banking. The Capital Stock of said bank is five hundred thousand dollars. The time of commencement of said corporation being on the 13th day of January, A. D. 1857, to continue twenty-five years, with the right of renewal. The highest amount of indebtedness not to exceed three hundred thousand dollars, and the officers of said bank to consist of a President, Cashier, and twelve Directors.
On paper, the Saratoga Bank was a powerhouse! They were capitalized at an enormous $500,000—meaning they said they had that much money behind them, which was a huge amount for a frontier outpost like Saratoga. They also claimed they were governed by a president, cashier, and twelve directors. The Nebraska Territory Legislature gave the institution a chartered for 25 years with a borrowing limit set at $300,000.
Saratoga’s promoters spared no effort in marketing their business to the East, where all their money came from. Erastus F. Beadle (1821-1894), an engraver from Buffalo, New York, who held significant land interests in Saratoga and throughout Douglas County, actively helped market the town by moving to Saratoga and setting up shop there. His house was located near present-day North 16th and Laird.
His efforts were not without fierce controversy though. On August 13, 1857, a rival to the Omaha City newspaper called the Bellevue Gazette ran a mean editorial called “Beware of Bogus City Lots,” that specifically attacked Beadle for engraving promotional map envelopes —called “yaller envelopes” and shown above—that depicted Saratoga as a major hub with fictional infrastructure:
“This Beadle has another rail-road running from the great city of Saratoga… called the ‘Davenport and Pacific R. R.’ running away up the Platte river to some other bogus city… It is thus that some men—sharpers, who have come into this country, without one penny in their pocket—but brass enough in their face to shield them from all sense of honor and decency, have made their fortunes from their unsuspecting acquaintances in the east.”
Despite the sharp criticism from rival towns, the Saratoga Bank pressed forward, issuing its own paper bank notes to feed the speculative real estate boom above the Saratoga Bend of the Missouri River.
The Panic and the Crackdown (1858)

The Saratoga Bank’s timing couldn’t have been worse. Late in 1857, a financial panic swept across the country and caused wildcat banks like across the western frontier Saratoga’s to collapse overnight as people rushed to redeem paper notes for actual gold and silver. The Saratoga Bank was caught right in the center of the crash and didn’t have the ability to honor the promised value.
Just 11 months after The Omaha Nebraskian published the bank’s optimistic launch announcement, the newspaper painted a vastly different picture. On May 26, 1858, an official executive order from Territorial Governor W. A. Richardson (1811-1875), dated May 20, 1858, appeared on page 2.
Addressed to District Attorney James G. Chapman (1825-1887), Governor Richardson ordered immediate legal proceedings against a slate of territorial banks—including the Saratoga Banking Company, the Bank of Florence, and the Fontenelle Bank of Bellevue—demanding the forfeiture of their corporate rights and privileges.
Governor Richardson cited specific grounds for taking action against Saratoga and its peers:
- Failure to Redeem Notes: The governor noted that the institutions “have omitted to redeem and pay their notes when presented for payment,” rendering their wildcat paper currency worthless to local citizens.
- Lack of Authorization: Richardson declared that seven of the listed banks, including Saratoga, were “not authorized by law” to engage in corporate banking operations.
- Federal Law Violations: The executive order highlighted an Act of Congress from July 1, 1836, which explicitly prohibited U.S. Territories from creating banking corporations unless sanctioned.
Governor Richardson made his mandate clear: “The sole object of this department being to rid the Territory of unlawful and irresponsible corporations.”
The Legacy of Saratoga’s Wildcat Bank

The executive action in May 1858 effectively sealed the fate of the Saratoga Banking Company. Deemed an unlawful wildcat bank, its operations dissolved alongside the broader real estate collapse of the town of Saratoga itself. Ultimately though, this sealed the fate of Saratoga. Languishing on for decades afterwards, the town’s formal incorporation ended in 1858. Despite being incorporated by the territorial legislature, the University of Nebraska at Saratoga was a vision that started and ended in 1858. An actual public grade school was opened, the store and blacksmith and mill continued, and the hotel eventually became Brownell Hall. The town of Sulphur Springs remained until at least 1877, when the Missouri River forever changed course and created Carter Lake. The Omaha Driving Park was started and eventually, Saratoga was absorbed into the municipal boundaries of Omaha in 1887.
But the story of its 1857 bank—complete with promotional map envelopes, wildcat currency, and territorial legal battles—highlights a short but fascinating chapter in the wild west of pioneer North Omaha history.
You Might Like…
MY ARTICLES ABOUT THE HISTORY OF SARATOGA
General: Timeline | Saratoga Belt Line Historic District | Tour of Saratoga Historic Sites | Intersection of 24th and Ames | Historic Business Directory
Homes: Stroud Mansion | Gruenig Mansion | Rome Miller Mansion
Businesses: Lane Drug | J. F. Bloom and Company | Omaha Motor Car Company | Stroud Company | 4225 Florence Blvd | 4426 Florence Blvd | Saratoga Springs Hotel | Max I. Walker Cleaners | Imperial Sash and Window Factory | Metropolitan Building and Loan | J. F. Bloom and Company | Omaha Motor Car Company | Stroud Company | North Star Theater aka the Ames Theatre | Suburban Theater | LaRue’s | 4515 North 24th Street | Borden’s Ice Cream | King Solomon’s Mines | Bank of Saratoga
Events: Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition | Greater America Exposition
Transportation: Belt Line Railway | North 16th Street | North 24th Street | North Freeway | Streetcars | Railroads | 24th and Ames Intersection | 24th and Ames Streetcar Barn
Other: Saratoga School | Saratoga Fire Station | Sulphur Springs | Druid Hall | John F. Kennedy Recreation Center | Omaha Driving Park | Prairie Park Club | YMCA Athletic Park | North Omaha Public Library
Surrounding Neighborhoods: Miller Park | 30th and Ames | Sherman | Kountze Place | Bedford Place | Monmouth Park | Collier Place

Discover more from NorthOmahaHistory.com
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
