North Omaha has been filled with beautiful places, interesting people and tremendous events since the earliest roots of the community. It should come as no surprise that there are many historical postcards documenting the history here. This is a collection of postcards from the history of North Omaha.
Starting in 1875, the United States government offered “Postal Cards” for sale to facilitate the fast transmission of simple messages across the nation. Manufactured and sold by the government, these cost .1¢ to mail. The first “private mailing cards” were made legal to sell in 1898, and cost .2¢ to send. In 1901, the postmaster made everything postcards, and the industry took off after that. The eras of postcards after that were the divided back period from 1907 to 1915; the white boarder period from 1915 to 1930; the linen period from 1930 to 1945, and the photochrom period from 1945 to present.
Following are some postcards from the history of North Omaha. It would be exhausting to include every single postcard made for the community, so this collection is a sample. Have some to share? Email your images to firstname.lastname@example.org.
North Presbyterian Church Postcard
Fontenelle Park Postcard
Douglas Truck Company Postcard
Mormon History Postcard
Immanuel Deaconess Institute Postcard
Rod and Gun Club Postcard
Bemis Park Postcard
Florence Water Works Postcard
Pearl Memorial Methodist Church Postcard
Signal Corps, Fort Omaha, Neb Postcard
Omaha North High School Postcard
Poor Clares Monastery Postcard
Miller Park Postcard
Minne Lusa Waterworks Postcard
Beal’s Grill Postcard
The Prettiest Mile in Omaha Boulevard Postcard
North 39th Street Postcard
Florence Boulevard and Ames Avenue Postcard
Creighton University Administration Building Postcard