In the early 1890s, the Presbyterian churches in North Omaha were on an uptick. The city was growing, and despite a recession, churches were being built throughout the North Omaha community. With the “soft” launch of the Omaha Presbyterian Theological Seminary in downtown Omaha a few years earlier, a new crop of ministers for the denomination was springing forth and they needed places to preach.
In December 1893, the Bedford Place Presbyterian Church was formed. The new congregation was started at 3028 Lake Street, and in 1904 they changed their name to Church of the Covenant. Moving to North 27th and Pratt Streets in 1906, they changed their name to Covenant Presbyterian Church in 1918.
White flight led the congregation to moving to “west” Omaha in 1957, when they built a new church at 5112 Ames Avenue. The church hosted meetings of the Presbyterian Commission on Church and Race throughout the 1960s and 70s. As the demographics of this area continued changing the regional leadership of the Presbyterian Church conveniently asked the congregation to move further west in 1988. They accommodated the request and made the move, and today the church continues to be open at 15002 Blondo Street.
In early 1980s, their building at N. 27th and Pratt Streets was demolished to make way for the North Freeway. Today, their former building at 5112 Ames Avenue is home to Mount Calvary Community Church. The present-day location of Covenant Presbyterian Church is N. 150th and Blondo Streets.
You Might Like…
- A History of the Omaha Presbyterian Theological Seminary
- A History of Higher Education in North Omaha
- Hillside Presbyterian Church
- Miller Park Presbyterian Church
- Historic Black Churches in North Omaha
- A History of the Saratoga Neighborhood in North Omaha
- Covenant Presbyterian Church official website
- (March 2, 2007) “Omaha congregation votes to leave PCUSA and align with Evangelical Presbyterian Church,” from the Layman website