This is "A History of the US Army Corps of Engineers Facility in North Omaha" by Adam Fletcher Sasse for NorthOmahaHistory.com

A History of the US Army Corps of Engineers Facility in North Omaha

Along J.J. Pershing Drive, tucked between the Ponca Hills and the river, is the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Omaha District facility. Today it functions as a modern operational hub for riverboat maintenance, regional flood control gear, and engineering logistics. However, the land beneath it holds more than 200 years of really important American history. From the hunting grounds of native nations to pioneer encampments to federal river channel projects, this specific place along the riverfront has served as a central crossroads of Western expansion and national infrastructure. This is a history of the US Army Corps of Engineers Facility in North Omaha.

Before the 1840s

American painter George Catlin captured this image of Cabannè's Trading Post along the Missouri River in present-day Dodge Park. This view is looking north from the US Army Corps of Engineers facility—the cliffs were forever changed by flooding after this was painted circa 1819.
American painter George Catlin captured this image of Cabannè’s Trading Post along the Missouri River in present-day Dodge Park. This view is looking north from the US Army Corps of Engineers facility—the cliffs were forever changed by flooding after this was painted circa 1819.

Long before European settlement or federal engineering projects transformed the riverbank, the fertile bottomlands along the Missouri River were the traditional hunting and foraging grounds of several Native nations, including the Omaha and Ponca tribes. The river supplied rich wildlife, timber, and vital waterways for trade and travel.

Following Meriwether Lewis and William Clark’s 1804 expedition, the region quickly drew early fur traders seeking pelts along the Missouri. Prominent outposts were established nearby, including Manuel Lisa’s Fort Lisa (built around 1812) and Cabanné’s Trading Post. These early establishments made the North Omaha shoreline a key staging area for travel into the Upper Missouri territory.

The Mormon Reserve & The Outfitting Post

This now-popular painting of Winter Quarters shows the cabins and under-emphasizes the sod houses. This is the site of the US Army Corps of Engineers facility.
This now-popular painting of Winter Quarters shows the cabins and under-emphasizes the sod houses. This is the site of the US Army Corps of Engineers facility.

In 1846, the site began its new life. As thousands of Latter-day Saint pioneers fled westward across Iowa, they established Winter Quarters in present-day Florence. The flat riverfront area directly right next to what is now Pershing Drive—where the Corps facility is right now—was designated as the “Mormon Reserve” on their maps.

This reserve was as crucial for staging equipment, grazing livestock, and landing after crossing the Missouri. During this era, thousands of pioneers lived directly on the site pulling wagons, riding in covered wagons, and setting up tents, temporary earthen dugouts, and cabins. Although apparently no permanent buildings were erected on the site, it was densely populated with emigrants preparing for the trek across the Great Plains.

Between 1847 and 1863, the location hosted the Upper Mormon Ferry and the famous “Nebraska dugway”—a carved slope leading up from the river bottoms. This place served as the primary outfitting camp for Saints continually heading west along the Mormon Trail.

Florence Ferry Reserve & Agriculture

In this May 31, 1953 sketch by Harry Rasmussen for the Omaha World-Herald, the caption reads "This is World-Herald artist's conception of the crude log raft ferry which Mormons built to cross Missouri River close to their WInter Quarters in 1846 in what is now North Omaha. Pole served as rudder and rope kept the raft on course. One part of the V-rope was used for the east crossing, the other for the west crossing."
In this May 31, 1953 sketch by Harry Rasmussen for the Omaha World-Herald, the caption reads “This is World-Herald artist’s conception of the crude log raft ferry which Mormons built to cross Missouri River close to their WInter Quarters in 1846 in what is now North Omaha. Pole served as rudder and rope kept the raft on course. One part of the V-rope was used for the east crossing, the other for the west crossing.”

In 1854, town founder James C. Mitchell platted the city of Florence. To guarantee that the town maintained public waterfront access for steamboats and ferries, Mitchell designated the Ferry Reserve at the base of Ferry Street, which ran straight down the hill to the site. Pioneers continued to camp on this reserve and along nearby Mill Creek, which ran through the corridor occupied today by Interstate 680.

This is the steam ferry called "Nebraska" that used to land at the Florence Ferry dock. The Ponca Hills are pictured at left. This would have been at the spot where the US Army Corps of Engineers facility is today.
This is the steam ferry called “Nebraska” that used to land at the Florence Ferry dock. The Ponca Hills are pictured at left. This would have been at the spot where the US Army Corps of Engineers facility is today.

In 1855, the Nebraska Territorial Legislature chartered a formal monopoly for the Florence Ferry. Over the following decades, the surrounding floodplain was cleared of timber and brush for agricultural use, linked to the town by the old River Road wagon trail.

Taming the Missouri

The Missouri River doesn’t have a channel. This means that for all of its existence, the river was notoriously volatile, shifting like a mad snake. The riverbed wiped around the valley, eroding valuable farmland and making settlement along the waterfront really hard. From the 1890s through the 1910s, local landowners teamed up with river crews from the US federal government to build temporary staging areas along the riverbank. Workers built massive woven willow “brush mattresses” weighted with rock revetments and sunk them along the riverbanks to stabilize the shifting currents.

After Omaha annexed Florence in 1917, the 1920s brought modernization to the corridor along the river bottom. The original wagon trail was paved and broadened into River Drive. Over the decades to come the river was channelized and levees were built.

The US Army Corps of Engineers Takes Over

River Drive, North Omaha, Nebraska
This section of River Drive in North Omaha wasn’t paved until the 1950s when it led from the Florence Bridge to Dodge Park. This view likely looks south from Oakridge Drive towards the US Army Corps of Engineers facility. Image courtesy of the Durham Museum.

In 1934, the United States Army Corps of Engineers formally created the Omaha District to oversee large-scale public works, navigation, and river management across the Missouri River Valley. Seeing the strategic value of the old Mormon Reserve and ferry staging grounds, the Corps built a permanent heavy equipment and riverboat facility on the site.

In 1941, River Drive was formally re-dedicated as J.J. Pershing Drive. Shortly after, the passage of the landmark Flood Control Act of 1944 brought a lot of expansion, including the permanent Building 55 industrial support yard that serves as the construction, maintenance, and logistics backbone for dams, levees, and dikes along the entire the Missouri River system.

Flood Control & Modern Times

Thoroughly illustrating why nothing permanent was built there for a century, this 1950 picture shows a flood immersing the US Army Corps of Engineers facility in Florence.
Thoroughly illustrating why nothing permanent was built there for a century, this 1950 picture shows a flood immersing the US Army Corps of Engineers facility in Florence. Image courtesy of the Durham Museum.

Throughout the mid-to-late 20th century, the North Omaha facility functioned as the operational heartbeat of the Omaha District during major Missouri River floods, including the historic floods of 1952 and 1993. During those events, the site had specialized repair shops for survey boats, heavy dredging machines and emergency flood-fighting equipment. Referred to as the Florence Boat Yard, the Missouri River Boat Basin, and by other names, it has hosted work barges, rescue teams, construction boats, and a lot more.

From the 1990s through now, the facility has evolved into the district’s primary regional warehouse, logistics, and field support facility and has been overhauled a lot in the last several years. Today, Building 55 is the USACE District Warehouse in Omaha, and is located at 9501 John J Pershing Drive. The entire facility is called the US Army Corps of Engineers Missouri River Project Office.

Remembering the Past

In 1978, the entire Mormon Pioneer National Historic Trail system was officially designated by an act of Congress. In 2003, a historical marker called “Crossroads to the West: The Great Florence Outfitting Post” was placed and dedicated along J.J. Pershing Drive by the Florence Futures Foundation and local historical organizations to commemorate the USACE facility grounds as an official interpretive stop along the national trail.

Building 55, aka the US Army Corps of Engineers Missouri River Project Office, is now 76 years old itself and is qualified for recognition as a historic property itself.

Right now, you can go to the site and see a place where two centuries of American history intersect, where pioneer wagon tracks transformed into federal engineering marvels that tamed the Missouri River.

Thanks to Jeremy Hope for inspiring this article!

You Might Like…

Elsewhere Online

BONUS!

This image shows the US Army Corps of Engineers facility in Florence. Image courtesy of the Durham Museum.
This image shows the US Army Corps of Engineers facility in Florence. Image courtesy of the Durham Museum.
This image shows a boat at the US Army Corps of Engineers facility in Florence. Image courtesy of the Durham Museum.
This image shows a boat at the US Army Corps of Engineers facility in Florence. Image courtesy of the Durham Museum.
This image shows men working at the US Army Corps of Engineers facility in Florence. Image courtesy of the Durham Museum.
This image shows men working at the US Army Corps of Engineers facility in Florence. Image courtesy of the Durham Museum.


Discover more from NorthOmahaHistory.com

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

One thought on “A History of the US Army Corps of Engineers Facility in North Omaha


  1. So much history, so little time. Of course I’ll take time to make the time.

Leave a Reply