The Machinery and Electricity Building was constructed at North 17th and Pratt Streets in 1897. For two years it highlighted marvels of the age, then was demolished in November 1899.
There were dozens of exhibits within the building, both by private companies and by states who wanted to highlight their machinery and electrical wares. Some of the companies exhibiting in the Machinery and Electricity Building included the Chicago Edison Co., General Electric, the Burkley Printing Co., Westinghouse, Electrical Instrument Co., and the Crane Churchill Company.
Starting in October 1899, the buildings on the Expo grounds were demolished. There was nothing left there by January 1, 1900. Today, there are 4 houses, an empty lot and a street on the same land.
You Might Like…
- A History of the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition
- A History of the Greater America Exposition
- A History of the Demolition of the Trans-Mississippi Exposition of 1898 and the Greater America Exposition of 1899
- Additional info on the Machinery and Electricity Building from the UNL Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition website