This is a history of LaRue’s Cafe and LaRue’s Scalp Treatment in North Omaha.
This is a history of Shadda’s Drive-In, a restaurant in Omaha, Nebraska from 1955 to 1960.
Each of the small towns around North Omaha once had their own school district, and several of those school districts … More
This is a history the Climmie, a rowhouse at 2514 N. 16th St. in North Omaha, Nebraska.
This is a history of the popular Beal’s Grill, a longtime mainstay near Creighton University at N. 24th and California Streets.
This is a history of the Bedford Place neighborhood in North Omaha, Nebraska.
Department stores once dotted the area north of Dodge and east of North 72nd Street. This is a history of department stores in North Omaha.
Once located all over North Omaha, there are few bakeries left — but lots of memories! This is an account of some of the bakeries from the community’s history.
One of Omaha’s most distinct immigrant populations has nearly disappeared from the city’s identity. This is a history of Hungarians in Omaha.
A musician, educator and minister committed to Black power, Rev. Russel Taylor was a powerful leader in North Omaha. This is his story.
A tornado and a fire couldn’t stop the Omaha Casket Company, which made boxes for the dead in North Omaha from 1892 to 1939.
This is a directory of historic North Omaha church buildings. Many are still churches; some are not.
Charity, socializing, and fraternity drove the American Legion Theodore Roosevelt Post #30 in North Omaha. Discover what happened to them.
From 1951 to 1963, the 24th Street Dairy Queen was serve the Black community in the Near North Side. This is a history of the business.
Located in the original Near North Side neighborhood, one grade school at North 14th and Cass Street served immigrants, African Americans, adults, and others. Today the school is largely forgotten.
First conceptualized in 1954, it took almost 40 years for North Omaha’s highest high speed corridor to be completed. This is a history of the North Freeway.
In 1846, a town emerged on the western bank of the Missouri River. Although it only existed for a few … More
This is a history of the now-demolished building that once stood at 2410 Lake Street that housed a vaudeville theater, movies, a nightclub, a bowling alley, a supper club, and a teen club, as well as a bar before it was demolished in the 1970s.
Omaha Fire Department station #6 was located at 914-16 North 24th Street. It was built in 1906 and demolished in the 1970s.
Omaha had a hard time getting its public school system going. Once they got going, it took more than a decade to build a second school. However, when it opened on the outskirts of the city at North 17th and Izard Streets, the new school was the grandest building of its time. This is a history of the North Omaha School, aka the Izard School.
A giant church building, a large congregation and lots of impact by Immanuel Baptist Church went on for more than 50 years in North Omaha. Today there’s no sign of this once-important place. This is a history of the church.
What do Fred Astaire, Roger and Gale Sayers, Bob Gibson, Bob Boozer, Michael Anania, Brenda Council, and former Omaha mayor Johnny Rosenblatt all have in common? Born in the Near North Side, each attended the same school. That same building is a neighborhood institution with deep roots going back at least 140 years in Omaha’s past. This is a history of North Omaha’s Kellom School.
One building defined the early history of a boom-and-bust town located in present-day North Omaha. Despite only being open for a short time, the building left a long shadow on the area. This is a history of the Saratoga Springs Hotel in the town of Saratoga, Nebraska Territory.
This is a history of the Old Plantation, a display at the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition in North Omaha in 1898.
For 40 years, one plant poisoned North Omaha with heinous disregard. This is a history of the Carter White Lead Company factory in East Omaha.