This is a history of the Ames Plaza, opened in 1960 at North 56th and Ames Avenue in then-Northwest Omaha.
This is a biography of Everett S. Dodds, and prolific architect who designed many buildings in North Omaha from 1914 through 1940.
For more than 50 years, Holy Family Catholic has been among the most activist Catholic parishes in Omaha. Before that it was an Italian parish, and before that, Irish. Here’s a history.
This is a history of the Charles Storz House built in 1909 in the Kountze Place neighborhood.
Omaha is a city of immigrants, and North Omaha is no exception. Along with its historic African American community and wealthy white settlers, the community has been home to Jews, Scandinavians, English and other Europeans. Among this plethora of diversity are Italians from across their homeland who came for jobs, homes and connections. More than […]
The Kountze Place neighborhood was built for middle- and upper-class Omahans seeking a streetcar suburb suitable for building large homes, raising fine families and enjoying the fruit of their labors. Indicative of the Victorian era, the home was designed in the Eastlake or Stick style, which featured a lot of woodwork and embellishments to really […]
“It is almost impossible to get a Negro into a hospital even in the charity wards in Omaha… In the few cases where a Negro is admitted, the Negro physician must turn over the case to a staff [white] physician. The patient loses the advantage of being attended by the man who has followed […]