Some buildings are constructed, serve a purpose and then are demolished. Others seem to live several lifetimes by acting as a base for several enterprises and a hub for the community during different crises. Despite looking like its falling apart right now, one Lake Street building is such an institution, serving as an icon of change, sustainability and transformation in the community. This is is a history of the Webster Telephone Exchange Building.
This is a timeline of the history of the Saratoga neighborhood in North Omaha, including the intersection of 24th and Ames. Included here are events, places and people central to the neighborhood’s existence as a pioneer town, leafy suburb, and a seemingly abandoned urban neighborhood.
This is a biography of historian and North Omaha leader Bertha Calloway (1925-2017). She was a Civil Rights activist, museum founder, historian, author, student, educator, speaker, promoter, playwright, journalist, administrator, mentor, wife and mother.
This is a history of the U.S. Brush Company factory once located in North Omaha.
This is a history of the Charles Storz House built in 1909 in the Kountze Place neighborhood.
The Kountze Place neighborhood was built for middle- and upper-class Omahans seeking a streetcar suburb suitable for building large homes, raising fine families and enjoying the fruit of their labors. Indicative of the Victorian era, the home was designed in the Eastlake or Stick style, which featured a lot of woodwork and embellishments to really […]
Calvin Memorial Presbyterian Church was a short-lived attempt by a fleeting denomination to maintain a significant presence in North Omaha. Ultimately failing, they did succeed in ensuring the legacy of a gorgeous landmark that celebrates its 110th anniversary in 2020. This is a history of Calvin Memorial Presbyterian Church at 3105 North 24th Street in […]