The John F. Kennedy Recreation Center, also called the Blackburn Recreation Center after its founding owner Beverly Wead Blackburn Jones, was located at 4514 North 24th Street between 1965 and 1970. Mrs. Jones began her work with youth when she was 17 at the Kellom Community Center, and became the director in 1957 at the age of 20. In […]
Thomas Frank Stroud’s North Omaha business was successful. After starting it in Omaha in 1894, he formally organized the firm in 1895 to build dirt moving machines that he designed. In 1905, he built a $20,000 factory at the intersection of Florence Boulevard and the Belt Line tracks.
Built: 1909 Address: 5100 Florence Boulevard Architecture: Neo-Classical Demolished: 1969 In 1895, Thomas F. Stroud started his wagon making business in North Omaha. He was going to make his fortune selling wagons to western farmers in the city considered to be the Gateway to the West. In order to truly appreciate his wealth, he had to construct a magnificent home. […]
The N. 16th and Locust Street intersection was a beehive of commercial activity for more than a century. The Locust overpass of the MoPac Railroad was a key. Learn more.
This is a history of streetcars in North Omaha, Nebraska.
Between 1870 and the 1950s, A LOT happened in North Omaha. This is a summary of the people, events, organizations and more that made history…
A guest article by Karen Clopton explores the history of the Prince Hall Masons and their century-old Druid Hall in North Omaha, Nebraska.