This is a history of the now-demolished building that once stood at 2410 Lake Street that housed a vaudeville theater, movies, a nightclub, a bowling alley, a supper club, and a teen club, as well as a bar before it was demolished in the 1970s.
Omaha Fire Department station #6 was located at 914-16 North 24th Street. It was built in 1906 and demolished in the 1970s.
This is a history of the Carver Bank in North Omaha, the first-ever Black-owned bank in Nebraska.
A giant church building, a large congregation and lots of impact by Immanuel Baptist Church went on for more than 50 years in North Omaha. Today there’s no sign of this once-important place. This is a history of the church.
A theater opened to African Americans in a time when Omaha was deeply segregated, the Ritz Theater was an anomaly in the city. Here’s some of its history.
Some buildings are constructed, serve a purpose and then are demolished. Others seem to live several lifetimes by acting as a base for several enterprises and a hub for the community during different crises. Despite looking like its falling apart right now, one Lake Street building is such an institution, serving as an icon of change, sustainability and transformation in the community. This is is a history of the Webster Telephone Exchange Building.
What do Fred Astaire, Roger and Gale Sayers, Bob Gibson, Bob Boozer, Michael Anania, Brenda Council, and former Omaha mayor Johnny Rosenblatt all have in common? Born in the Near North Side, each attended the same school. That same building is a neighborhood institution with deep roots going back at least 140 years in Omaha’s past. This is a history of North Omaha’s Kellom School.