This is a history of Creighton University, including notable people, places and events throughout its history.
This is a history of Jim Bell and Jerry Morris’s supper club called The Off Beat, located at 24th and Lake from 1952-1969.
Omaha is a city of immigrants, and North Omaha is no exception. Along with its historic African American community and wealthy white settlers, the community has been home to Jews, Scandinavians, English and other Europeans. Among this plethora of diversity are Italians from across their homeland who came for jobs, homes and connections. More than […]
Calvin Memorial Presbyterian Church was a short-lived attempt by a fleeting denomination to maintain a significant presence in North Omaha. Ultimately failing, they did succeed in ensuring the legacy of a gorgeous landmark that celebrates its 110th anniversary in 2020. This is a history of Calvin Memorial Presbyterian Church at 3105 North 24th Street in […]
This is a history of the third public housing projects built in North Omaha called the Hilltop Homes.
In 1951, OHA announced development of the projects on both the east and west sides of North 30th Street extending from Burdette south to Parker Street. Completely demolished in 2010, today the ultra-modern, mixed income Highlander neighborhood sits on the 15 acres once here, along with the Charles Drew Health Center. This article is a […]
Public housing was introduced in Omaha in 1937 when the federal Housing Act was passed. This act made federal loans to the city for the construction of low-income public housing. In the 1930s, the City of Omaha first created an informal housing authority meant to address the housing needs of low-income European immigrants. Seeking to […]