A History of St. Philip the Deacon Episcopal Church

This is a history of a longtime, influential and successful segregated congregation called St Philip the Deacon Episcopal Church in North Omaha.

A History of St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Parish and the Bryant Resource Center

North Omaha’s Saint Benedict Catholic Church has been a bastion of hope for the Near North Side for almost a century. Here’s their story.

A History of the 24th and Fort Intersection in North Omaha

This is a history of the buildings at North 24th and Fort Streets in the Miller Park neighborhood.

A History of Black Churches in Omaha

Omaha’s historic Black churches include Cleaves Temple CME; Mt Nebo Baptist; Zion Baptist; Mt Moriah Baptist; Salem Baptist; St John AME; Hillside Presbyterian; Pilgrim Baptist; Bethel AME. Omaha’s tradition of Black churches started less than a decade after the founding of the city in 1865. With de facto segregation the norm in the city by then, African Americans […]

A History of Zion Baptist Church in North Omaha

A leader among the bedrock institutions of North Omaha is Zion Baptist Church. One of the oldest congregations in Omaha, it was founded in 1884 and became the largest Black church in Omaha by 1900. It’s landmark building at 2215 Grant Street was designed by North Omaha native “Cap” Clarence Wigington, and its mission is still distinctly relevant more than 125 years after it was founded.