Today it looks like a bland industrial space along a decrepit street in a rundown part of Omaha. However, once this gigantic building was a foothold into the middle class for hundreds of workers; and again it was a warehouse to store parts for the homes of thousands across the community. Soon it will have a new future as a tribute to a community scion and African American icon for all times. This is a history of 4402 Florence Boulevard in the Saratoga Belt Line Historic District of North Omaha.
The building at 4426 Florence Boulevard is located in the Saratoga Belt Line Historic District. Built in 1926, it is a storefront and open space that has no basement. The City of Omaha Planning Department currently rates the building in poor condition. This is a history.
A tornado and a fire couldn't stop the Omaha Casket Company, which made boxes for the dead in North Omaha from 1892 to 1939.
This is a history of the U.S. Brush Company factory once located in North Omaha.
In 1890, a major Detroit-based chair manufacturer called Murphy, Wasey and Company arrived in a big way in North Omaha. Located at 3167-77 Spaulding Street along what was then called North 32nd (aka John A. Creighton Boulevard) and the Belt Line Railway, the company built a large factory and employed a hundred people. It was … Continue reading A History of Murphy, Wasey and Company Factory in North Omaha
Sulphur Springs was a settlement in the Nebraska Territory from 1854 to 1877. This article shares some of its history.
For 75 years, Uncle Sam cereal was manufactured in North Omaha. This is a history of the company and its locations in the community.