This is a directory of historic North Omaha church buildings. Many are still churches; some are not.
A country school that's now engulfed by Omaha, the Irvington School was once a bastion of a small rural community. This is a history.
Some buildings are constructed, serve a purpose and then are demolished. Others seem to live several lifetimes by acting as a base for several enterprises and a hub for the community during different crises. Despite looking like its falling apart right now, one Lake Street building is such an institution, serving as an icon of change, sustainability and transformation in the community. This is is a history of the Webster Telephone Exchange Building.
What do Fred Astaire, Roger and Gale Sayers, Bob Gibson, Bob Boozer, Michael Anania, Brenda Council, and former Omaha mayor Johnny Rosenblatt all have in common? Born in the Near North Side, each attended the same school. That same building is a neighborhood institution with deep roots going back at least 140 years in Omaha's past. This is a history of North Omaha's Kellom School.
Some schools in Omaha were built in reaction to floods of new residents moving into neighborhoods unexpectedly. Others were built to attract new residents. Originally opened in 1885, the school at North 30th and Spaulding Street was the latter. This is a history of the Druid Hill School in North Omaha.
This is a history of the only African American Lutheran church in Nebraska today, called Hope Lutheran Church.
This is a history of Creighton University, including notable people, places and events throughout its history.