A musician, educator and minister committed to Black power, Rev. Russel Taylor was a powerful leader in North Omaha. This is his story.
This is a directory of historic North Omaha church buildings. Many are still churches; some are not.
This is a history of the now-demolished building that once stood at 2410 Lake Street that housed a vaudeville theater, movies, a nightclub, a bowling alley, a supper club, and a teen club, as well as a bar before it was demolished in the 1970s.
Since its founding in 1854, the City of Omaha has never had a publicly elected Black mayor. For a period in from the 1930s through the 1940s though, there was a Black mayor competition held. This is a history of that position.
This is a history of the Carver Bank in North Omaha, the first-ever Black-owned bank in Nebraska.
Some buildings are constructed, serve a purpose and then are demolished. Others seem to live several lifetimes by acting as a base for several enterprises and a hub for the community during different crises. Despite looking like its falling apart right now, one Lake Street building is such an institution, serving as an icon of change, sustainability and transformation in the community. This is is a history of the Webster Telephone Exchange Building.
Sitting on top of a hill on the western edge of North Omaha, the Omaha View School was one of the city’s earliest. Rebuilt on a new site in 1908, in 1910 it was renamed, too. Since then the school has had notable alumni, built the surrounding neighborhood up, and changed dramatically. This is a history of the Howard Kennedy Elementary School.