Some buildings are constructed, serve a purpose and then are demolished. Others seem to live several lifetimes by acting as a base for several enterprises and a hub for the community during different crises. Despite looking like its falling apart right now, one Lake Street building is such an institution, serving as an icon of change, sustainability and transformation in the community. This is is a history of the Webster Telephone Exchange Building.
Sitting on top of a hill on the western edge of North Omaha, the Omaha View School was one of the city’s earliest. Rebuilt on a new site in 1908, in 1910 it was renamed, too. Since then the school has had notable alumni, built the surrounding neighborhood up, and changed dramatically. This is a history of the Howard Kennedy Elementary School.
What do Fred Astaire, Roger and Gale Sayers, Bob Gibson, Bob Boozer, Michael Anania, Brenda Council, and former Omaha mayor Johnny Rosenblatt all have in common? Born in the Near North Side, each attended the same school. That same building is a neighborhood institution with deep roots going back at least 140 years in Omaha’s past. This is a history of North Omaha’s Kellom School.
Some schools in Omaha were built in reaction to floods of new residents moving into neighborhoods unexpectedly. Others were built to attract new residents. Originally opened in 1885, the school at North 30th and Spaulding Street was the latter. This is a history of the Druid Hill School in North Omaha.
There is a LOT of history to see in North Omaha! With its uniquely diverse history of Jewish and African American culture set against a backdrop of historically distinct places, 24th and Lake Historic District is one of the jewels of Omaha’s history today. This is a tour of addresses in the district, along with […]
This is a history of the Old Plantation, a display at the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition in North Omaha in 1898.
The first-ever Black-owned, operated and filmed theater company in the world was led from North Omaha.