A History of the Omaha Motor Car Company in North Omaha

When the automobile industry was just getting started, every major city in the United States had at least one manufacturer. In Omaha, there were several including the Ottomobile, Ford trucks, and the Omaha Car, which lasted for just over a year between 1912 and 1913. This is a history of the Omaha Motor Car Company […]

A History of Murphy, Wasey and Company Factory in North Omaha

In 1890, a major Detroit-based chair manufacturer called Murphy, Wasey and Company arrived in a big way in North Omaha. Located at 3167-77 Spaulding Street along what was then called North 32nd (aka John A. Creighton Boulevard) and the Belt Line Railway, the company built a large factory and employed a hundred people. It was […]

A History of Italians in North Omaha

Omaha is a city of immigrants, and North Omaha is no exception. Along with its historic African American community and wealthy white settlers, the community has been home to Jews, Scandinavians, English and other Europeans. Among this plethora of diversity are Italians from across their homeland who came for jobs, homes and connections. This is […]

A History of 1922 Wirt Street in North Omaha

The Kountze Place neighborhood was built for middle- and upper-class Omahans seeking a streetcar suburb suitable for building large homes, raising fine families and enjoying the fruit of their labors. Indicative of the Victorian era, the home was designed in the Eastlake or Stick style, which featured a lot of woodwork and embellishments to really […]

A History of North Omaha’s Calvin Memorial Presbyterian Church

Calvin Memorial Presbyterian Church was a short-lived attempt by a fleeting denomination to maintain a significant presence in North Omaha. Ultimately failing, they did succeed in ensuring the legacy of a gorgeous landmark that celebrates its 110th anniversary in 2020. This is a history of Calvin Memorial Presbyterian Church at 3105 North 24th Street in […]

A History of the Hilltop Projects in North Omaha

This is a history of the third public housing projects built in North Omaha called the Hilltop Homes.

A History of the Pleasantview Projects in North Omaha

In 1951, OHA announced development of the projects on both the east and west sides of North 30th Street extending from Burdette south to Parker Street. Completely demolished in 2010, today the ultra-modern, mixed income Highlander neighborhood sits on the 15 acres once here, along with the Charles Drew Health Center. This article is a […]

A History of Public Housing in North Omaha

Public housing was introduced in Omaha in 1937 when the federal Housing Act was passed. This act made federal loans to the city for the construction of low-income public housing. In the 1930s, the City of Omaha first created an informal housing authority meant to address the housing needs of low-income European immigrants. Seeking to […]

A History of Segregated Hospitals in Omaha

  “It is almost impossible to get a Negro into a hospital even in the charity wards in Omaha… In the few cases where a Negro is admitted, the Negro physician must turn over the case to a staff [white] physician. The patient loses the advantage of being attended by the man who has followed […]

A History of the Hillcrest Mansion in North Omaha

Built: circa 1900 Address: 2811 Caldwell Street Architecture: Antebellum Demolished: circa 1965 Originally called Riverview, the original home on this lot was built around 1900 and was said to be “one of the most beautiful viewpoints in the city.” Sitting on four lots covered with fruit trees, large shade trees and a fine lawn, the […]

A History of the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition

This is a history of the 1898 Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition.

A History of the Girls and Boys Building in North Omaha

Of all the buildings made for the 1898 Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition, the Girls and Boys Building had one of the most joyful, loyal and enthusiastic receptions. Here is a short history of the building. Fundraising for Construction “It was not one of the main exhibit buildings, but was given a place in the Grand […]

A History of St. Philip the Deacon Episcopal Church

This is a history of a longtime, influential and successful segregated congregation called St Philip the Deacon Episcopal Church in North Omaha.

A History of the Administration Arch in North Omaha

This is a history of the Administrative Building, aka the Administration Arch, at the 1898 Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition held in North Omaha.

A History of Duffy Drugs

Going back to 1886, the southwest corner of 24th and Lake has been vital to North Omaha! Its first Black-owned business didn’t happen until 1968 though. Find out more in this history of Duffy Drugs!

A History of the People’s Hospital in North Omaha

For almost a century, it was widely known that hospitals in Omaha were for whites only. Defacto segregation made doctors apply for birth certificates at hospitals where African American mothers weren’t allowed to birth their babies, while African American doctors weren’t allowed to work in most hospitals until the 1920s, and even then they could […]