When developer Charles Marten dreamed up the largest neighborhood development in Omaha, he didn’t include a chunk of land for a school. However, he quickly realized it was necessary and carved out space along the boulevard. This is a history of the Minne Lusa School.
In 1922, a new six-room brick building was finished. Designed by John Latenser & Sons, the building address is 2630 Ida Street. In 1924 it expanded for almost 350 students in kindergarten through 8th grade. The building was added onto in 1925 when the combination gym and cafeteria were built. In 1950, classrooms were added, and in 1970 a new kitchen was built. The building was completely renovated and reopened in 1997.
As of 2019, the school had 450 students in pre-kindergarten through 6th grade. The City of Omaha continually looks past this building for historical preservation because of its lack of integrity.
Do you have any details or memories about Minne Lusa School to share? Please leave them in the comments!