If walls could talk, North Omaha’s schools would be much noisier, much more colorful, and much more complicated than anyone wants to hear. For more than 150 years, schools throughout the community have served students of all ages. With a deep history including segregation and school violence, its can be hard to remember all the positive people and events that emerged in the community’s schools. Following is my continuously growing history of the history of schools in North Omaha.
In the first years of the Nebraska Territory more than a dozen small towns emerged north of Omaha City. I can’t account for all of the buildings that existed from 1854 to 1864. Identifying these towns and their schools has been an interesting journey, showing schools next to schools and learning far beyond boundaries.
With a heavy-weighted wagon tired from pounding across the Midwest, a family of settlers arrives in a tiny pioneer town on the Nebraska prairie just west of the Missouri River. There are just ten businesses there, including a big hotel, but dozens of houses. The year is 1856, and the wagon, with two parents and three kids, has just rolled into Saratoga, Nebraska.
Saratoga was one of the earliest towns in North Omaha, and it had two of the first schools.
The Schools in Saratoga, NT
Saratoga, Nebraska Territory (NT), was a small town located around the intersection of 24th and Ames. It was only a formal town for a year; the houses and businesses and schools in the area continued after the town busted in 1857.
Right after that bust, the family in the wagon was glad to see the founding of the first upper school in the Omaha-area. Brownell Hall, an all-girls school and boarding school run by the Episcopal Church, bought the building where the old hotel was located. The first graduates in the area came from Brownell. By the time the school was moved to Midtown Omaha, there were a dozen schools in North Omaha.
The Saratoga School was opened at North 24th and Ames Avenue in 1857 by local residents. It was a one-room schoolhouse, and was one of the first public schools in Nebraska. The Birchwood School was opened by 8th Avenue and East Fort Street, just north of Carter Lake, before 1870.
Schools in Winter Quarters and Florence
If that wagon had come a decade earlier and went ten miles north, the settlers could have sent their kids to a school located in Cutler’s Park.
Cutler’s Park was run by Mormon pioneers in the late 1840s for several years. A decade later in the late 1850s, during the same period as Saratoga’s founding, the Florence School was built in far North Omaha. Located at 7902 North 36th Street, today it is an elementary school that’s part of the Omaha School District.
A School in DeBolt
There were several schools in the countryside around North Omaha, too. One of them was the Springville School, which was located near present-day North 60th and Girard Streets. Springville was founded in the 1860s, and has served thousands of students through the years. It has been housed in at least five buildings, and served at least two towns, including DeBolt and Omaha.
The Oldest Omaha School
The oldest school north of Dodge Street and east of 72nd Street was doubtless the original public school in Omaha, and it didn’t have a name. It was built on Jefferson Square Park and only stood there for less than 10 years starting in 1865. It was a two-room wooden building that acted as a one-stop shop for students in grades 1 through 8 until it was closed.
When the Jefferson Square school was closed, the building was moved to the corner of North 14th and Cass Streets and reopened in 1872 as the Cass School. That building was replaced in 1882 and 1899, and stayed open until 1939. Other public schools north of Dodge and south of Cuming Street included the Webster School, Central School, and the North Omaha School.
Schools in Growing Neighborhoods
The schools in North Omaha were focused on their growing neighborhoods and the needs of the new city they were part of before 1900.
During the 1870s, a one-room school was built at 2410 North 19th Street. Rebuilt in 1888, it was called Lake School, and by early 1910s, it had become one of Omaha’s black schools. It stayed that way until it was closed in the late 1970s.
In 1870, the Nebraska School for the Deaf and Dumb was opened on a 23 acre campus at Bedford and 42nd streets. Segregated from mainstream schools as part of a national boarding school movement for hearing impaired students, the School served thousands of students until it was closed in the 1970s.
The North Omaha School was built at North 19th and Izard Streets in 1871. It was later called the Izard Street School, and stayed open into the 1920s.
In 1882, the school board decided to build a school in the “northwest quarter” of the city near present-day North 35th and Franklin Street. In 1885 they broke ground on the Franklin School, and opened the building in 1886. It stood until 1980, when a court ordered new facilities for the 91% African American student population there. The new Franklin Elementary has been open at the same location since then. Long School was opened in 1886 at 2520 Franklin Street. One of the city’s “black schools”, it was closed in the 1970s and rebuilt. It was closed in the 1980s. In 1888, the first Walnut Hill School building. In 1926, the present building was finished in a walnut grove. The school had the first elementary library in Omaha. At some point before the 1890s, the Lothrop School was originally built at 1518 North 26th Street in 1885. At some point, it was rebuilt at 3300 North 22nd Street, at the corner of Lothrop and 24th. It also became a black school. The Webster School was built in 1888 at 618 North 28th Avenue. By 1969, its enrollment was choked by the building of Interstate 480, and the school was demolished.
Originally opened in the 1870s, the Paul Street School was rebuilt at 1311 North 24th Street in a simple building made in 1892. In the 1920s, the school hosted a number of classes for adult immigrants in the local neighborhood. By the late 1940s the school was one of Omaha’s black schools. The original Paul Street school was demolished and replaced by a new school named for Omaha’s first superintendent, John Kellom. Kellom School was opened in 1952 at 1311 North 24th Street. It was meant to be a “community school”, and included a community center. In the early 1950s, Urban League leader Whitney Young ran basketball and other community outreach programs at Kellom.
In 1882, the Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart was founded in the Gifford Park neighborhood to provide college prep education to young women in Omaha. Eventually they expanded their mission, and rom 1904 to 1963 Duchesne was a college that provided Bachelors degrees to women.
Central Park Elementary School opened in School District 38 in a four-room schoolhouse in the 1870s, and was rebuilt in 1888. A two-room annex at 42nd and Saratoga Streets was built in 1908, and the school was rebuilt in 1912. In 1966, it was expanded greatly, and still serves the neighborhood.
Rebuilt in 1888 at 16th and Jaynes Streets for twenty-one students, throughout Sherman School‘s 125-year history, the school has absorbed several smaller local schools, including the Birchwood and Pershing Schools. It has also been a junior high school, and has had more than 500 students roaming its hallways at once. Today, it is located at 5618 North 14th Avenue and has 275 students.
When I went there in the 1980s, students from the neighborhood surrounding the school attended Sherman for kindergarten and first grades, went to Miller Park for grades two through four, and then returned to Sherman for grades five and six. We were then bused to McMillan for junior high, and after that went to North High School.
After graduating from Omaha High School in 1893, in 1895 Lucinda Gamble was hired as the first African American teacher in the Omaha School District. She taught at Long School.
The first Omaha View School was built at North 32nd and Maple Streets in 1885. In 1910, it was rebuilt and North 30th and Cassius Streets (now called Binney Street). In 1912, the building was renamed after the first superintendent of Omaha Public Schools, and is now called Howard Kennedy School. The school hosted first through eighth grades, eventually adding kindergarten with 1,000 students attending. Today, after serving the public housing projects in the neighborhood for more than 50 years, today the school has about 200 students. The housing projects are gone, but the school continues.
The Saunders School, located at 415 North 41st Avenue, was finished in 1899. It was closed and renovated into apartments in the 1980s. The Yates School was built in the Gifford Park neighborhood at Davenport and North 32nd Street. It is now an alternative high school for the district. Omaha Heights School was originally opened at North 36th and Kansas Avenue, and was eventually replaced with Belvedere School.
Attendance and Size
We hear a lot these days about class size and student-to-teacher ratios. Everything was different in the beginnings of public schools in Omaha. On average, Omaha’s teachers served up to 40 students per classroom, and some actively taught two classrooms throughout the entire day, switching back and forth all day long.
In 1881, every grade school in Omaha went from 1st grade through 8th grade. Within the Omaha School District, in North Omaha there were 13 schools. Central Park School had four rooms with four teachers. The Fort Omaha School had 2 rooms and a single teacher, while the Franklin School had 4 teachers in 4 rooms. The Long School had 15 rooms and 15 teachers; the Lothrop School had 4 rooms and 4 teachers; the Lake School had 14 teachers in 16 rooms, and; the Omaha View School had 8 teachers covering 8 rooms. The Saratoga School had 5 teachers in 5 rooms. Izard had 14 teachers covering 14 rooms, while Paul Street School had 4 teachers in 4 rooms; Webster had 12 rooms with 11s teachers, and; Walnut Hill had 8 rooms with 8 teachers. Sherman School had 1 room and 1 teacher.
There were other schools outside of the Omaha School District but within present-day North Omaha. They included:
- School District 2 (Saratoga School)
- School District 5 (Florence School)
- School District 9 (West Omaha School)
- School District 20
- School District 21 (Ponca Hills School)
- School District 29 (Springville School)
- School District 32 (Briggs School or Mount View School)
- School District 38 (Central Park School)
- School District 49 (Birchwood School)
- School District 61 (Pershing School)
Several schools were opened in North Omaha after the turn of the 20th century.
For instance, Monmouth Park School was a public school located at 4508 North 33rd St, and was built in 1903. Designed by important Omaha architect Thomas Kimball, the district wanted to tear the building down after closing it in the 1980s. After a decade as apartments, the building was demolished in 1995.
The original Miller Park Elementary School was a four-room frame building that opened in April 1910 at 5625 North 28th Ave, along Ellison Avenue. This is where I attended some elementary school. I also went to Sherman School, which has a much more complicated history that I detailed above. The current building was finished in 1912, and renovated extensively in the 2000s.
Druid Hill Elementary School is located at 4020 North 30th Street. Originally opened in 1885 as a neighborhood school, its second building was constructed in 1917. Druid Hill relocated to its third building in 2002.
In 1914, the Omaha School District opened the Fort Street Special School for Incorrigible Boys at the corner of North 30th and Browne Streets. It was for boys who “had no interest in school at all” and were considered “mischief makers”. The school provided manual training in printing and agriculture, as well as metal and wood working shops, a drafting class and repair shop for small items. Attending the school soon went from being a punishment to a privilege. In 1923, the program moved to the campus of Omaha’s new Technical High School, and the Fort Street School was closed. The former building for the Fort Street School was moved to Minne Lusa Boulevard and Ida Street shortly after it was closed to become the first Minne Lusa School. The current Minne Lusa School was built in 1924, and has been continuously added to since then.
Tech High School was built at 30th and Cuming. It was a large, five-winged building at North 30th and Cuming Streets. Year after year of successful academic classes, athletic teams, and extracurricular programs didn’t keep the school open though. Tech was closed in the 1980s. Its gigantic facilities formed the largest high school in the Midwest when it was open, and rather than allow them to be demolished the Omaha Public Schools repurposed the building as its headquarters, which it still serves as today. North High School was opened the following year at 36th Street and Ames, and still functions today as a magnet school for the district. I graduated from North in 1993. V-up!
Monroe School was built in 1926 for students in kindergarten through eighth grade at 5106 Bedford Avenue in the Benson neighborhood. In 1956 Monroe became Omaha’s first junior high school, and today is called Monroe Middle School. Horace Mann Junior High was opened at some point (I haven’t found more information yet). The Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School was opened in 1975 at North 37th and Maple Streets. In 1988, it closed and became a primary center replacing Clifton Hill School. When it opened in 1973, Martin Luther King Middle School was the first middle school in Omaha. They were a new model then, and everything before them were junior high schools. Martin Luther King Middle School was the first of Omaha’s schools to be named for an African American. When the building was converted to a primary school in 1988, it absorbed many of Clifton Hill School’s students. The building was renamed the King Elementary School for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School in 1999.
The name was moved to the former Nathan Hale Junior High on Florence Boulevard, to become the King Science Center. After an extensive renovation in 2001, it was renamed the King Science and Technology Magnet Center. The original building was repurposed as King Elementary School. In 1965, OPS opened Nathan Hale Junior High School near North 60th and what’s now Sorenson Parkway. It became a middle school in 1990, and a magnet school in 2009.
Replacing the 1890s Omaha Heights School at North 36th and Kansas, the Belvedere Elementary School opened in 1924, and was added onto in 1946, 1950, 1957, and 2002. It continues to thrive today. The Fairfax School was opened in 1911 at North 40th and Pratt Streets. It was a two-room school building with an outhouse, and it was demolished in 1974. Nothing remains of it today.
Several other school districts served present-day North Omaha, to the north, west and east. One of them was District 61. It had one building, the Pershing School, that was located near Eppley Airfield at North 28th Avenue East and Perkins Street. Built in 1926, it was closed just 50 years later, and its remaining students were sent to Sherman.
Another district was called the Beechwood School, and it located near the Read Street and J.J. Pershing Drive. It was originally a one-room school that was at North 14th Avenue East and Fort Street, and was formally absorbed into Omaha Public Schools is 1948.
Clifton Hill School was built in 1917 at 2811 North 45th Street. It was closed by Omaha Public Schools in 1988. After being acquired by Girls Inc. of Omaha for use as their north center, in 2016 they rededicated the building as the Katherine Fletcher Center after a $15,000,000 renovation. It now includes a full gymnasium, locker rooms, an exercise studio, a fitness center, a health clinic and an educational kitchen, as well as an expanded media center, video and audio production facilities, and expanded teen center with technology for the exclusive use of teens.
Above are pics of some of Omaha’s most important historical African American educators.
Dr. Eugene Skinner became Omaha’s first African American principal in Omaha, beginning his service at Long School in 1947. In 1965, he became the first African American principal of a junior high, and in 1968, the first African American administrator in Omaha. He became the city’s first African American assistant superintendent in 1969.
Opening Junior High Schools
Junior high schools were an interesting development of their own in Omaha Public Schools. When pioneer schools were started in the city, they went to eighth grade and stopped. In 1859, the Omaha High School started inside the Territorial Capital building downtown for grades 10, 11 and 12.
It wasn’t until 1909 that the concept of separate junior high schools was conceived on the east coast. The junior high model was specifically for students in grades seven, eight and nine. Despite talking about it for a long time, it would the Omaha school district at least 25 more years before they opened one.
The first mention of “junior high school” in the Omaha World Herald was in 1898. However, it took another 20 years before, in 1917, the newspaper reported “an entirely new departure” by the district, which planned construction of new junior high school buildings to relieve congestion in the high schools.
The first plan for a junior high school building in Omaha was in 1917. It was designed for construction at North 24th and Corby Street, but was never built. That same year, two other junior high school buildings were planned for North 22nd and Chicago Street and North 24th and Ames, but none of these were built, either.
North Junior High School first started inside North High School when the building opened in 1921, and Benson Junior High School started Benson High School in 1920.
It was 1936 before Omaha Public Schools built the first junior high in Omaha. However, it merely an 11-room addition to Monroe School, and there were other junior high schools within high schools before that.
A rash of school construction led to several new junior high buildings in Omaha during the 1950s.
Today, Monroe Middle School claims to be the first junior high school in Omaha, opening in 1956.
In 1956, initial plans for a new building were drawn up as North Side Junior High. The building opened in 1958 and was named for the first principal of North High, Edward E. McMillan. Other junior high schools considered for the community included the Near North Side Junior High and Paxton Boulevard Junior High, neither of which were built. Several other junior high school buildings were built in the late 1950s though, including Horace Mann Junior High, now King Science Center, which was opened in 1959; and Sherman Junior High, now Sherman Elementary, which was opened in 1957. That closed and students were bused to McMillan starting in 1976.
The middle school model was introduced in the 1960s, when developmental psychologists decided it was better to group ninth grade students into high schools, and bring sixth grade students in with seventh and eighth grade students. When it opened in 1973, Martin Luther King Middle School was the first middle school in Omaha. Today it is King Elementary School. McMillan became a middle school in the 1990s.
The junior high school model is gone from Omaha now, replaced entirely by middle schools.
Catholic Schools in North Omaha
At one point, North Omaha had more than 15 Catholic parishes scattered across all of its quarters, including Florence, Benson, East Omaha, and inwards, with several in the Near North Omaha neighborhood. In those early decades, each parish was obligated to run a school to provide regular daytime education for their children and youth, as well as religious education. Consequently, at one point there were many Catholic schools across North Omaha.
Among the oldest operating is Sacred Heart School, which continues operating today at 2205 Binney Street. St. Bernard’s School is in Benson at 3607 North 65th Street to serve what was once a suburban neighborhood.
One of the earliest was St. Catherine’s Academy, which was located at North 18th and Cass Streets.
St. John’s School was at 2507 California Street across the street from St. John’s Catholic Church, which is a neighborhood parish. Learn more from my article, “A History of St. John’s Catholic Parish.” Holy Angels School was at 4721 North 28th Street, and became Dominican High School in 1968. It closed in 1983. Holy Name School continues operating today at 2901 Fontenelle Blvd, and East Omaha’s St. Therese School was at 5316 North 14th Avenue, and closed at some point in the 1980s. Holy Family School was at 1715 Izard Street, and Omaha’s segregated Black Catholic school was St. Benedict’s School, rebuilt at 2423 Grant Street in 1928. St. Cecilia’s School is at 3869 Webster Street, and today it is an elementary school. The parish also hosted Cathedral High School for many years.
In the early 1960s, St. Richard’s School opened at 4318 Fort Street to serve that one-time suburban neighborhood. With changing demographics shrinking its parish, the school closed in the mid-2000s. Saint Philip Neri School has operated at 8208 North 31st Street in Florence for 100 years. Blessed Sacrament School operated at 6316 N 30th Street for more than 90 years, merging with St. Phillip Neri in 2011.
The Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart has operated at 3601 Burt Street in North Omaha since 1881. In addition to serving as a high school for a long time, its also been a regular college and a convent for nuns. Notre Dame Academy opened in 1926 at 3501 State Street. It was a girls’ high school until 1974, when it merged with Rummel High School and became Roncalli High School. Rummel was at the site of Roncalli today, which is 6401 Sorensen Parkway in North Omaha.
Other Education in North Omaha
Other forms of education beyond schools have existed in North Omaha for more than a century. They have included public libraries, higher education and community centers.
The North Omaha Branch of the Omaha Public Library was established in 1921. In 1972, the library was rebuilt at 2868 Ames Avenue and renamed the Charles B. Washington Branch in honor of a local civil rights activist in 1986. A major renovation and expansion of Washington Branch was completed in March of 2006.
Since the University of Nebraska in Saratoga was chartered but not started in the 1860s, North Omaha has been home to no fewer than seven institutions of higher education. Creighton University, founded in 1878, is the oldest. The others included the University of Omaha; the Omaha Presbyterian Theological Seminary (1904-1949); the Duchesne College (1906-1961); the Grace University (1949); Immanuel School of Nursing (1891-1976); and the Methodist School of Nursing. In 1976, the Metro Community College launched in earnest at Fort Omaha, and is still doing spectacular work there.
Catholic High Schools in North Omaha
Catholic high schools in North Omaha were first established in 1878 by Sarah Creighton, who opened a private Catholic school in honor of her deceased husband at 2510 California Street. It was called Creighton High School, and it operated in North Omaha until 1958. The Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart was an all-women’s school opened in the Gifford Park neighborhood at 3601 Burt Street in 1881. The Holy Name High School and the Notre Dame Academy were opened in the 1920s. Other Catholic high schools in North Omaha have included Dominican High, open from 1968 to 1983; Rummel High, operated from 1964 to 1974 on the site of Roncalli High, which is still open at 6401 Sorenson Parkway; Blessed Sacrament High at North 30th and Curtis Avenue from 1923-1956, and; St. Cecilia Cathedral High School, which closed in 1994. The Saint John’s Catholic High School was opened at North 25th and Cali
If you know of any others, please share them in the comments section below!
North Omaha School Directory
- Beechwood School, Read Street J.J. Pershing Drivet North 14th Avenue East and Fort Street
- Benson High School
- Birchwood School (c. 1869) 8th Avenue and East Fort Street in District 49
- Belvedere School (1924) 3775 Curtis Ave
- Blessed Sacrament School 6316 N 30th Street
- Blessed Sacrament High School
- Cass School, (1872-1936) 1418 Cass Street
- Cathedral High School
- Central Park School (c. 1872) North 42nd and Grand Avenue in District 38
- Central School
- Clifton Hill School 1917 at 2811 North 45th Street
- Creighton High School (1878) 2510 California Street
- Dodge Street School (1872-1898) SE Corner 11th and Dodge Streets
- Dominican High
- Druid Hill School (1917) 4020 North 30th Street
- Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart (1881) 3601 Burt Street
- Fairfax School (1911) North 40th and Pratt Streets
- Father Flanagan High
- First Omaha School (1865-1872), North 16th and Cass Streets (Jefferson Square Park)
- Florence School (c. 1862) 7902 North 36th Street in District 5
- Florence High School (1880s-1924), 7902 N. 36th St.
- Fontenelle School North 53rd and Spaulding Street
- Fort Omaha School (1888-1896), North 30th and Browne Streets
- Fort Street Special School for Incorrigible Boys (1913-1917) North 30th and Browne Streets
- Franklin School (1885) North 35th and Franklin Street
- Harrison School North 45th and Charles Street
- Hartman Elementary School
- Holy Angels School 4721 North 28th Street
- Holy Family School 1715 Izard Street
- Holy Name High
- Hope Lutheran School (1950) 2720 Wirt Street
- Horace Mann Junior High aka King Science Center (1959) 3720 Florence Boulevard
- Howard Kennedy School
- Jefferson Square School (c. 1863) North 16th and Cass Streets
- Kellom School (1952) 1311 North 24th Street
- Lake School (c. 1871) 2410 North 19th Street
- Long School
- Lothrop School (1885) 1518 North 26th Street
- McMillan Magnet School (1958)
- Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School aka Martin Luther King Jr. Primary Center (1975) 3706 Maple Street
- Miller Park School (1910) 5625 North 28th Ave
- Minne Lusa School (1924) 2630 Ida Street
- Monmouth Park School (c. 1884) 4508 North 33rd Street
- Monroe School (1926) 5106 Bedford Avenue
- Mount View Elementary School
- Nathan Hale Junior High School (1965) 6143 Whitmore Street
- Nebraska School for the Deaf and Dumb (1870) North 42nd and Bedford Street
- North High School (1925) 36th Street and Ames
- North Omaha School aka Izard School (1871) North 19th and Izard Street
- Notre Dame Academy (1926) 3501 State Street
- Omaha Heights School (c.1891) North 36th and Kansas
- Omaha View School (1885) North 32nd and Maple Streets
- Paul Street School (1892) 1311 North 24th Street
- Pershing School (1926) North 28th Avenue East and Perkins Street in District 61
- Pinewood Elementary School
- Ponca School North 47th and Ponca Road
- Roncalli High School 6401 Sorensen Parkway
- Rummel High School (1974) 6401 Sorensen Parkway
- Sacred Heart High School 2205 Binney Street
- Sacred Heart School 2205 Binney Street
- Saint Bernard’s School 3607 North 65th Street
- Saint Benedict’s School (1928) 2423 Grant Street
- Saint Catherine’s Academy North 18th and Cass Streets
- Saint Cecilia’s School 3869 Webster Street
- Saint Cecilia Cathedral High
- Saint John’s School 2507 California Street
- Saint John High
- St Paul School North 26th and Pinkney Street
- Saint Philip Neri School (1904) 8208 North 31st Street
- Saint Richard’s School 4318 Fort Street
- Saint Therese School 5316 North 14th Avenue
- Saratoga School (1857) North 24th and Ames Avenue in District 2
- Saunders School (1899) 415 North 41st Avenue
- Sherman School (1888) 5618 North 14th Avenue
- Skinner Magnet Center (1996) 3219 Cuming Street
- Springville School (c. 1865) North 60th and Girard Streets in District 29
- Technical Junior High School (1953) 3219 Cuming Street
- Technical High School (1923) 3219 Cuming Street
- Wakonda Elementary School
- Walnut Hill School (1888) North
- Webster School (1888) 618 North 28th Avenue
- West Omaha School ( ) in District 9
- Yates School Davenport and North 32nd Street
You Might Like…
- “North Omaha education summit stresses community, family engagement,” By Erin Duffy for OmahaWorld-Herald, Nov 15, 2015
- “North Omaha Education in Omaha: What were the different ways in which African Americans worked to improve education in Omaha?” by Making Invisible Histories Visible project of Omaha Public Schools.